Friday, August 27, 2010

A Plumb Line for Living


If you’re like me there’s something alluring about the New Testament Church. As I read the book of Acts I’m drawn in, intrigued, energized, and a little mystified.

What is it about the Early Church that has the ability to challenge and confront the status quo, while simultaneously encouraging potential, passion, and power? For me it’s all about getting back to basics, focusing on those things that were fundamental, foundational, and imperative to the Early Church.

With any new movement there is the great benefit of building from the ground up. By beginning with the cornerstone, alignment takes place for the entire structure. This cornerstone, this alignment, is critical to the strength of the building as it was designed. But when we become detached from the original plan we can find ourselves in jeopardy of compromising the integrity of the entire structure.

When I misalign the fundamentals, or even allow other good things to divert my attention, I risk diminishing my potential, passion, and power as a man of God.

So how do I make a correction? How do I realign? By getting back to the basics that the Early Church was devoted to. “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” (Acts 2:42 NIV) These were the basics, the passion, and the power of the Church, which energized the spread of the Good News of Jesus Christ.

I can become easily misaligned when I lose my grip on the basics, instruction in His Word, connection with His people, reflection upon His sacrifice, commitment to speaking with Him through prayer.

The basics were the power behind the Early Church; it is the reliance upon these basics that continue to be the power of the Church today.

So let’s get back to the basics.

Just a thought…

No comments:

Post a Comment